Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Product Review: Mixed Chicks

Over the past few months, I've been on the hunt for finding the perfect product(s) for my natural/curly/mixed hair. Being Black and Puerto Rican, my hair is tightly curled coily, but also really thin.

By the texture chart provide on NaturallyCurly.com, I would give myself 3c: Curly Coily. I had a pixy and short hair cut for the longest, but have been growing it out for the past few months and wanted to make sure I kept is as healthy as possible. I will posting some of my product reviews!

Maybe you're not natural or curly, but these brand products also have other items in their line that could be good for your hair too!

Reviews:

Mixed Chicks Shampoo
Mixed Chicks Deep Conditioner
Mixed Chicks Leave-in Conditioner



Shampoo:

Pros: Since I do more co-washing, I didn't use the shampoo everyday. Smells amazing. Generally leaves my hair feeling good. Depending on how long your hair is, can use it for a while.
Cons: NOT Paraben or Sulfate free. Which I'm sure we've all read by now is no good to anyone's hair, but ESPECIALLY people with etnic hair, curly or otherwise. Parabens and sulfate strip your hair of its natural oils and does more harm than good (hence the invention of co-washing).

Deep Conditioner: 
Pros: Actually I LOVED. I think it really a good job of really conditioning my hair. I definitely saw improvement on the strength and elasticity of my hair. It always felt soft afterwards, AND it was very manageable. I could run my fingers through my hair easily (though I rarely comb my hair after I condition it, only when I'm conditioning it).
Cons: None really

Leave-in:
Pros: It smells nice, and glides through my hair pretty easily. Doesn't feel like that clunky build-up, sticky feeling. Also gives my hair a little more manageability as well.
Cons: Felt like I had to do A LOT of scrunching and fluffing up of my hair with it. And then go to work, and then fluff it in the middle of the day, which then it would look really good. It would. But I had to do it at work.

Overall Review:

Overall I enjoy Mixed Chicks, however, after using it for around two months or so, I realized two patches in the back of my hair (which is the curliest and all virgin - meaning no dye) turned pin straight. Between that and the extra fluffing and scrunching I had to do every hour, the whole line just wasn't worth it to me. Especially since I don't know which product was straightening my hair. Though it would make more sense that it was the leave-in before it was the deep conditioning.

Into It?
Mixed Chicks Sulfate-Free Shampoo
Yes I would. However, mixed chicks has finally come out with a Sulfate-Free Shampoo. I would use that instead of their original. I would say to use it, and see how it is with your hair. I don't think the cons so out-weigh the pros. Overall I think the line is good. Just maybe not for all textures.

Use Mixed Chicks? Leave me your feedback and let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment